School insurance covers your child throughout their schooling in the event of any damage they may cause or suffer. Advantages, cost, mandatory or not… We take stock.
At the beginning of the school year, a certificate of school insurance is requested from you by your child’s school, college or high school. Is it useful to take out such insurance? Is it essential or even mandatory? What exactly does it cover? Midi Libre takes stock.
Is school insurance compulsory?
According to UFC-Que-choisir, no. In effect, the establishment hosting your child cannot force you to take out one. You do not need school insurance to cover the risks associated with compulsory school activities, included in your children’s timetable (including activities outside of school, such as a trip to the swimming pool or to a gymnasium).
The consumer protection association gives us some advice:
- Take stock with your insurer of what is already covered by your multi-risk home for civil liability and any bodily guarantee insurance (life accident guarantee);
- In view of your child’s schedule outside school hours (canteen in particular), ask yourself whether additional insurance is necessary and if so, to cover what risks;
- Do not hesitate to compare between the insurance offered by parents’ associations and what your insurer can offer you, paying attention to what is covered and what is excluded.
What about optional activities?
On the other hand, school insurance becomes compulsory if your child:
- take part in optional activities organized by the establishment: visit to a museum, language course, discovery classes, etc.
- frequents the canteen;
- participates in activities organized by the municipalities after school time (supervised studies, cultural or sports activities), specifies the public service site.
What will the insurance cover?
Essentially two guarantees: the civil liability guarantee, i.e. damage caused by your children, and bodily injury cover, which covers damage suffered by the child. These two guarantees may already be covered by insurance, which you have already taken out.
The civil liability of your children is certainly already covered by your multi-risk home insurance. Likewise, the bodily accident guarantee will be covered if you have taken out this type of insurance yourself for your family.
Additional warranties may be offered to provide optimal coverage. This is particularly the case for theft, racketeering, damaged clothing, damage to a bicycle or a musical instrument, etc. The school insurance can also cover the costs related to psychological support in the event of harassment or aggression.
The same goes for cyberbullying. Legal advice and financial assistance to preserve or restore one’s image conveyed on the Internet (“e-reputation” can also be provided, especially when it comes to “cleaning the web” by removing the fingerprints left on Internet.
What is the cost of school insurance?
For the subscription of a specific contract, the cost is fixed by the insurance company. Rates generally start at around €10 per year and per child, indicates the Public Service.
How to choose your school insurance?
Before taking out school insurance, you should take stock by examining the coverage already provided by the insurance you have and clearly identify any additional coverage that school insurance may provide you with: bodily accident cover if not already the case, racketeering or theft, assistance services in the event of illness…
Who do you buy school insurance from?
If you are unsure whether it is better to contact your usual insurer or opt for a contract offered by parent-teacher associations, do not hesitate to use an online insurance comparator! On Le Comparateur Assurance, you have a complete vision in the field.
We told you so above, but beforehand, take care to examine the insurance contracts in your possession in order to avoid duplicates. Multi-risk home insurance already includes civil liability cover, which covers damage caused by your child. As for the damage suffered, life accident insurance can also do the trick.
However, keep in mind that school insurance also allows you to receive compensation in the event of disability or death.
Note: if your child changes school or establishment, you must notify your insurer.
Focus on individual accident cover
The individual accident guarantee is a contract which provides for the payment of fixed compensation to the insured victim of an accidental event. Depending on the contracts, the guarantee may be limited to accidents in private life or encompass accidents occurring during the exercise of a profession. This guarantee can be subscribed either individually, or by joining a group contract.
According Capitalthese contracts can guarantee:
- a lump sum in the event of the death of the insured paid to the beneficiary designated in the contract;
- a lump sum or an annuity paid to the insured according to his degree of disability (total or partial permanent disability);
- a daily allowance in the event of work stoppage following the accident;
- additional treatment costs following the accident (in addition to Social Security).
The amount of compensation differs depending on the formula chosen. The same is true for the pick-up mode.
Like school insurance, individual accident cover is mandatory for all optional activities organized by the school, whether for visits, language stays, discovery classes, etc.